04 August, 2009

Best Thing Ever: Daniel Johnston Live on the Daytrotter Sessions

When I was but a lad of 14, my flirtation with competitive debate brought me to the seething swampy blast-furnace that is Austin, Texas during the summer months. Dragging my rapidly decaying self up a unbleached Congress Ave. with a tub of research, I came upon this weird--like--frog-thing. Stenciled on the side of a building, looming large over my pre-growth-spurt frame, the "Hi, how are you?" frog-thing haunted me for several years, and it wasn't until my senior year of high school that I discovered the broken, gloriously devastating pop of Daniel Johnston.



About him, enough has been said. So, the reason for this rant: our friends at Daytrotter recently posted a session recorded in Austin during this year's SXSW, featuring Brooklyn's Hymns as his backing band.

mp3-> Daniel Johnston & Hymns - Various Songs Live on the Daytrotter Sessions
[Download, sign-up required]

No comments:

Post a Comment