04 March, 2009

Best Thing Ever: Wayne Coyne vs. The Arcade Fire

Forgive the vague title, it isn't a mash-up so much as a smack-down.


[Rolling Stone]

Rolling Stone is reporting that during a recent interview with the Flaming Lips frontman, Coyne proceeded to--quote--"Tear the Arcade Fire a new asshole."

According to the article,

So, last week, our buddy and colleague Andy Greene is on the phone with the Coyne, when they started talking about some of the movers and shakers in the music world. They talked about Brian Eno, and Radiohead, and then got on the subject of Arcade Fire, which set Coyne off. (Just to clarify, Coyne is not comparing Eno to the Arcade Fire -- Eno was just a talking point.)

"I'm a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness," says Coyne. "We've played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I've been around them, I've found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, 'Who do they think they are?' I don't know why people put up with it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't care if it's Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I'd be like, 'Fuck you, get outta here.'

He continues, "People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they're pricks, so fuck 'em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I've been around groups. I've been around the Edge from U2 and he's the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don't, then fuck 'em."

And it gets better! Pitchfork is reporting that Owen Pallett (a.k.a. Final Fantasy) has entered the ring in defense of the Montreal collective's Win Butler. According to his twitter: (EDIT: He has since changed it to the much-less-antagonizing "[Insert snarky comment about Flaming Lips here.]")

Win might not be all hugs and rainbows and kittens, but neither is he drug culture, confetti, pot paraphernalia and bullshit.
Coyne could not be reached for comment on whether he needed any ointment for that burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment